The tragic thing about fire losses is that they
are almost always preventable.
• Install and maintain smoke detectors and
keep a fire extinguisher handy.
• Today’s appliances and electronics can be
a load, especially in an older home whose
electrical system wasn’t designed to accommodate the demand. Don’t overload
your electrical system with power bars and
extension cords, and don’t attempt to upgrade your electrical system yourself. If you
have any doubt about your home’s electrical capacity, call for an electrical inspection.
• Manage heat sources responsibly. Have
your fireplace inspected and cleaned annually. Don’t leave your stove unattended
while cooking. Monitor heaters and candles.
Clean out the lint trap in your clothes dryer
frequently. Use your outdoor barbecue with
extreme care; move it well away from walls
and furniture before lighting it.
• Store flammable materials such as gasoline or solvents well away from your home.
Outside, keep leaves and other dry materials
away from the home’s exterior.
• Have an escape plan that includes two ways
out of every room and an agreed-upon meeting place outside the home.
WHILE;VIRTUALLY;EVERY;RESIDENTIAL insurance policy covers damage caused by fire as
long as the fire was not started intentionally by, or at direction of, the homeowner, it’s a good idea
to check that you have sufficient coverage for all your belongings. For example, if you have some especially valuable items such as jewellery, electronics, recreational equipment, musical instruments,
wine or art collections, you should notify your insurance broker. He or she can explain the coverage
provided by your insurance policy and offer options for additional coverage if applicable.